By Jessica Cameron - From The Crockery Cook by Mable Hoffman
My wife has been making this dish for me for nineteen years. It's perfect comfort food for the fall. -Ed
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored thinly sliced
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 tblsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Dijon style sweet hot mustard
In the slow cooker, make alternate layers of cabbage, sweet potatoes and apple and sausage.
In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and vinegar. Pour over ingredients in crock pot. Cover and cook on low for seven to eight hours. Serve with mustard and Pumpernickle bread.